Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Town Match.......




Today was a busy day for us. Not only was I playing in The Town Match, but we were also moving from the house over to the Old Course Hotel for the night. Room 100 afforded us a beautiful view of the 17th and 18th holes on The Old Course as well as The Jigger! First things first, I had a match to play. Kristen dropped me off at The Jubilee where I met my playing partner, John. We were paired against R & A members, Nigel Cristie and David Leslie, for our foursomes match. I played pretty well after a nervy start to the round. My most memorable shot of the day was a hybrid from 200 yards into the 8th green. The "special" part of the shot was the it was played from the center of the 11th fairway. John was a bit wayward off the tee. All's well the ends well as we won the hole with a birdie. We pulled ahead to a 4 up lead through the front. Unfortunately, Nigel and David caught fire on the back and were too much to handle. We lost the match 2 & 1. John and I were invited to join Nigel and David at the R & A for some drinks and lunch. After a quick change at our club we were on our way. 

Spending the afternoon at the R & A was such a treat. Every room was filled with so much history and incredible artifacts from the greats of the game. I could have spent all afternoon soaking up the treasures in each trophy case. After several drinks of the #2 we headed upstairs for a delightful lunch overlooking the 1st and 18th of the Old. Lunch was followed by coffee and more conversation downstairs in the Great Room. Before leaving I secured a bottle of the R & A private label #1 and #2. While we may have lost the match, my experiences and the memories I am carrying with me tell me that I won the day! 


View from Room 100!

R & A #1 AND #2

Kristen and I met up at the hotel and readied ourselves for dinner upstairs at "The Road Hole" restaurant. The views, food and service were delightful. The only thing better was the company. Blessed! 



After dinner, we made our way into town for one final walkabout before heading back to Edinburgh tomorrow. We couldn't leave St Andrews without seeing our friends at Jannetta's  just one more time. It was a beautiful night and the town was hopping. Apparently the "Freshers" were having a rave and we were invited. That is all!







No comments:

Post a Comment