Friday, August 24, 2012

Liverpool Sights and Little Bit of History!

Our first full day in Liverpool was a good one. While Kristen was being tended to by her new friend, Lee, at the Barbara Daley Salon, I took a walkabout in the city. She had Lee and her coffee, she'd be fine. Off I went to find St. Luke's, a beautiful cathedral that had been bombed out by the Germans in 1941. The shell of the church remains and is often now used to host art shows and plays.





I found several pubs that caught my attention. I just love the architecture and the level of care and detail that went into buildings here. Take a look.....







I finally found my way to St. Luke's. What a beautiful setting! The cathedral itself is surrounded by several memorials, one to the fallen soldiers from the Malta Campaign of WWII as well as a statue and plaque placed in honor of those who died during the Great Famine of 1845 - 1852. The cathedral itself is still quite stunning despite the damage she sustained during the war. I felt a certain peace about things as I lingered here a while. I found myself reminded of all the sacrifices made on our behalf so that I could be standing there today. 





And now for St Luke's.........










I made my way back to Barbara Daley's to find a very happy Kristen. She informed me that it was going to be very costly for her to come see Lee every six weeks or so. She's worth it, and besides, if there is some golf in it for me, we'll figure it out.... Now it's my turn, Royal Birkdale, I'll see you in two hours!




1 comment:

  1. It looks as though she is having wayyyyyyy to much fun! !!!!
    Beautiful buildings! !!

    ReplyDelete