Monday, August 27, 2012

Royal Liverpool Golf Club at Hoylake.....





Today I was out on my own as Kristen decided to stay in and catch up on some of her MBA work. She also made her way to some Hot Yoga at her new favorite Yoga Studio, Yoga Nation. She loves it and was just fine hanging back in Liverpool. I made my way over to Hoylake, just outside of Liverpool for my midday tee time. I absolutely loved the clubhouse. It is the only one I have seen on our travels over here that has the ivy. I was impressed as soon as I pulled into the club. The course wouldn't disappoint either.  Royal Liverpool Golf Club hosted the 2006 Open Championship where Tiger Woods claimed his 13th Major. It was his 3rd Open Championship. 



The views were pretty impressive right from the start. The course was being prepped for the upcoming Women's Open Championship so there was a lot going on. Below is a view of the back of the clubhouse, looking back from the 1st green. I learned very quickly that accuracy would be a premium with out of bounds flanking many of the holes. I got off to a good start but couldn't help taking in some of the sights along the way.



One of my favorite holes on the front was the par 5 3rd hole. It was a dogleg left with plenty to worry about off the tee. Multiple bunkers sat at the corner of the dogleg to catch any errant tee shots. While I did avoid the bunkers, I didn't miss the rough. No reaching this one in two shots. I took my medicine and got it back into play. Below are images of what I was seeing from my 2nd and 3rd shots. I loved the bunkering all along this hole. I also loved seeing Wales in the background beyond the dunes.



The scenery continued with the par 3 4th hole. There was a strong head wind on this one and I lost it to the left and was bunkered. It took me two to get out but I made the putt for bogey. I got the dropped shot back on the next hole after holing out from a green side bunker on the par 4 5th for birdie. I guess that birdie woke me up as finished the front 9 at plus three.


The front 9 finished with a downhill par 4 along the coast line. The next few holes would also play along the coastline, making for some great holes and some great views as well.




The back 9 had two really good par 3's. The 11th known as "The Alps" and the 13th known "Rushes" were both mid iron plays with the wind I was facing. I parred one and after hitting the 13th but not holding, I was unable to get up and down from the back bunker.



Five holes left and I really wanted to finish well. A birdie, a bogey and three pars later, I shot another 3 over par for the back 9. I held it together nicely in the wind and was able to close out my 78 with a two putt par on the 18th. Another great day out there. I have really enjoyed my golf this week. There is a lot of great golf in and around Liverpool. We look forward to coming back here....




No golf for me tomorrow as Kristen has her spa day and I have some errands to run. We'll be heading to Scotland first thing Sunday morning and my next round will be at Gullane # 1 outside of Berwick Scotland. This will be a new one for me so I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment