Saturday, October 5, 2013

Ardglass Golf Club.....





We got off to an early start this morning. I had an early tee time and Kristen was set to venture up to Belfast on her own to locate the gym and some exercise classes she found online. Thank GOD for GPS! It took us about 45 minutes or so to get from the Slieve Donard Hotel to the Ardglass Golf Club. I had heard a lot about how cool the club house was. As you can see from above, it is quite unique. It has reportedly been deemed as the oldest clubhouse in existence. As a matter of fact, I would soon be teeing off from inside the walls of these centuries old castle ruins. The weather couldn't have been more beautiful this morning. My caddy, Ryan, was born and raised here in Ardglass and was a delight to spend the day with. We were the 1st one's out so I felt like I had the course all to myself. Kristen made it safely to Belfast and was good to go for the morning. Time to hit it. Below are several of my favorite shots of the Par 4 1st hole. From the medal tee where I was playing, the carry to the fairway was every bit of 225 into the wind and uphill. Not the shot you want to have right out of the car and without hitting any shots to warm up. Nonetheless, I hit a solid three wood to the left side of the fairway and we were off.







The one immediately above here is the angle I had for my 3rd shot from just off the green to the right. Ryan said to be careful as it was really quick and running away from me. No worries as I chipped it in for birdie 3. Nice start to a beautiful day!!! The next shot is of the Par 3 2nd hole. This has to be one of my favorite Par 3's that I have ever played. As you can see, short was not an option. With the wind off the right, I played a hybrid to inside ten feet for a chance to go 2 under through 2. It wasn't meant to be as the putt just slid by on the high side. Pars don't hurt!


Another of my favorites was the Par 4 4th hole below. Another stunning view of the rocky coastline with the Irish Sea hard to the left. This course was fast becoming one of my favorites for sure.


The next hole was the beautiful downhill Par 3 12th hole. The tee sits high on the cliff and the shot was playing about 190 yards or more according to Ryan. The winds were hard into us so I took another hybrid and gave it all I had. I hit one of my best shots of the day and proved the theory that "the wind doesn't touch a perfectly struck shot." 


This shot below is of the short Par 3 17th. As you can see, the Irish Sea provided another wonderful backdrop. There is a major ridge running through the middle of this one. I was able to fly a wedge into it and pull the ball back to the pin. Cool shot that resulted in another par. 


Lastly, here is the view from high above the clubhouse. A cool way to end the round, teeing back down the hill towards the castle / clubhouse and the village of Ardglass. A nice par to close out the round and I couldn't have been more pleased with my day. After a nice chat with Ardglass's PGA Professional, Paul Vaughan about all things Ardglass as well as a little Ryder Cup, I headed upstairs for some good food, warm whiskey and some delightful conversation with some of the members. Kristen made it back safely from Belfast and we were soon on our way back to the Slieve Donard. Kristen was on a mission as she had her spa appointment this afternoon. Happy Wife, Happy Life!!!! Ardglass Golf Club was a special place that I look forward to seeing again! When we got back to the hotel, Kristen made a beeline for the spa and I headed over to the Royal County Down clubhouse to talk to the guys in the pro shop. Based on their recommendations, we ended up eating dinner at the Mourne Seafood Bar in Dundrum. WOW! Perfect way to end the day in having a wonderful meal with my beautiful wife. Today was a good day! Tomorrow, Royal County Down and I have a date with destiny. 



No comments:

Post a Comment