Monday, October 21, 2013

Royal County Down Golf Club........



I could hardly contain my excitement about what today would bring with my early morning round here at Royal County Down. When Kristen and I went to sleep last night the weather was perfect. It was cool and the skies were clear. I was hoping for much of the same for my round today. No such luck as I made my way across the parking lot to get checked in at the clubhouse. It was cold, rainy and windy. I refused to let it bother me though. I was about to play the iconic Royal County Down Golf Club. I wondered whether it would merit the top 10 world ranking it held.  Only time and 18 holes would tell. 
I was paired with three gentlemen from Canada. They were an enjoyable lot and we had a good time getting acquainted and making our way through the dunes of the front nine. Here are a few of my favorites from the front nine. First up is the par 5 1st hole. It was back into the wind, coming in from the right. As you can see, the clouds were starting to clear a bit. It was a sign of good things to come with the weather. My caddy assured me the forecast was to improve. This 1st green was huge from front to back. I had a birdie putt of at least 50 to 60 feet. Two putts later I had a par to begin my round here at RCD. 



This next shot is of the par 3 4th hole. I loved the backdrop with the mountains in the distance. This hole reminded me a lot of the par 3 12th hole at the Waterville Golf Links down south along the Ring of Kerry. It played close to 200 yards today. I hit a nice hybrid to the front left of the green. Two putts later, another par.

The next two are of the par 3 7th hole and the #1 handicap par 4 8th hole. The 7th was a devilish little green with nothing but bad news to the left of the green. I hit the green but went through and down to said trouble. I faired much better on the 8th with a nice drive and 2nd shot that came up just short of the green. I hit a bump and run to a couple of feet and made par. This green was very exposed to the wind and the ball was oscillating on the green. I was thinking to walk away with 4 there.




The next shots are of the oft photographed par 4 9th hole. As you can see, the weather has cleared and the sun is out. Such a beautiful view of the course and the town off in the distance to the left. The latter photo shows the view from the 9th tee. The caddy said it was a 225 carry at a minimum to cover the rough and get to the fairway below. I piped a 3 wood over the hole and ended up in good position in the left side of the fairway.




Here is what I was trying to carry from the 9th tee. Pretty cool view as well in looking back towards the tee from the fairway. Such a cool hole. 


After a quick snack from the clubhouse we made our way to the back nine. I had been looking forward to playing the par 3 10th hole for several days. When we first got here the other day, I sat in the clubhouse, gazing out the windows watching the players come through. I had hoped I'd be able to play and today I was doing just that. Time to hit a good one. After a Snickers Bar (Breakfast of Champions), I hit a great 6 iron to inside 6 feet. Sadly, I let my nerves get the best of me and I missed it. Pars don't hurt but they sure do frustrate when you are looking at a 6 footer for birdie. 


The next is of the par 5 12th hole. Fun hole, again meandering through the dunes with a strong wind coming in off the right. 


This is the view from the par 4 13th tee box. It was a really cool hole with a blind 2nd shot if you didn't get it far enough left off of the tee. I was in the fairway off the tee, but too far right to be able to see the green. I hit a solid 6 iron on the perfect line and came up a yard short. Another great hole....


The last shot of the day is of the shortish par 4 16th. As with several holes today, I loved hitting into the hole with the back drop of those mountains. Such a beautiful place this is.....


Kristen was waiting for me to finish the round. We had a quick turnaround to grab something to eat in the clubhouse before heading to Belfast to catch the ferry back to Scotland. I wasn't sure whether she was watching from the clubhouse or not, but regardless, I wanted to finish strong. I went a little left off the tee and was fortunate not to find a bunker along the left side. The par 5 18th was playing back into the wind so it was playing long. I laid up and left myself a shot of about 140 yards or so. With the wind it played a little longer. I punched a 6 iron up there with a little draw. It came off perfectly and finished about 10 feet for birdie to end the day. One final par to end the day! I LOVED this place and couldn't wait to tell Kristen all about it as we drove up to Belfast. We made it in plenty of time and had a smooth  crossing with the Stena Cruise Line. Since Kristen got a little sick last time, I surprised her with a private cabin so she could lay down and rest. Money well spent as she made it across without a hitch. It took us a couple of hours to get back to the Dalmahoy Hotel back in Edinburgh. No plans for tomorrow as it is our last day before heading back Saturday. Who knows what we'll get into?? As for this past week or so in Northern Ireland, it was a pleasure meeting you and we will see you again soon.......

No comments:

Post a Comment