Friday, September 22, 2017

And Then The Rain Came.......





Today the weather man was right on the money. It was raining when we got up and didn't quit for the majority of the day. While it wasn't torrential, I will admit I wasn't overly aggressive in getting myself to the course. I opted instead for a day of rest and milling about the town. Kristen was well into her daily routine of morning yoga, a run and then the spa for an afternoon of relaxation. I spent the morning working on the blog while she went off to yoga. When she got back, we made our way to town for some lunch at The Jigger Inn. It's a must for anyone who has never been to St Andrews as well as those of us fortunate to be repeat customers. We had the place to ourselves, a pleasant surprise as it is normally quite busy. The food is good enough but it's the atmosphere and the setting the does it for me.



These flower baskets are exactly like ours, but different! 

Kristen went right to the spa after lunch and I headed on my road trip to the workshop of the St Andrews Golf Company. It is the oldest club making company in the world and a truly special place for golf addicts like me. I was in need of some work on my clubs as well as a hickory shafted putter for Spence. He had two requests when we left. He wanted a Leprechaun from Ireland and a wooden putter. The Leprechaun eluded me but the putter I could do. It was really cool to have the guys at the shop (Sandy, Angus and John) walk me through the process of making a putter as well as some of the other clubs by hand. The craftsmanship is incredible and I was surprised by the level of customization available. I putted with putter they made for Stuart Angus. If he doesn't get by there to pick it up before we leave, it may have to go home with me. It is amazing how such dated technology and materials can be so well balanced. Watch out Scotty Cameron! Maybe Santa will make it happen for him. We shall see.....






After leaving the shop, I headed up to the club for my afternoon vigil with the "Elders". I got there just in time for a heated debate over the proposed rules changes from the R&A and USGA. They met with mixed emotions from this crew. One thing is for sure though, this bunch loves the game. There is no denying that! The picture at the beginning of the blog was shared by my friend Sam B. I loved the commentary on the importance of attitude in everything we face. Once the debate died down I left to catch up with Kristen for dinner. We headed back to The Adamson. I got another filet and was again, very pleased. It just so happens that a little place called Jannetta"s was on our way home. I had a key learning tonight. Frozen Skittles, while a lovely garnish, are not always that friendly on the teeth when it's time to chow down. Blue Sky (forefront) was also a one and done. All in all, a rainy day in St. Andrews is better than no day in St Andrews.....That is all!


No comments:

Post a Comment