Seventeen years, St Andrews Golf Club member, forty-seven courses.

My photo
I've been playing and photographing the links of Scotland and Ireland since 2009. Forty-Seven courses, nine Open Championship venues, and a great deal of weather. Member of The St Andrews Golf Club. Prints available.

Monday, September 14, 2026

 


A Day of Thanks....And Some Golf!


New here? We're posting daily from Scotland through September 21 — follow the trip. 







After finding All Saints Episcopal Church, North Castle Street in St Andrews years ago, I have always made it a point to attend services here on Sundays. It's such a beautiful chapel and everyone is always so very friendly. A great place and great way to kick off the day. After church I made my way downtown for some coffee before heading back to get Spence up and going. We were set for another round this afternoon. Today we will play the Craigtoun Course, just outside of St Andrews. Formally known as the Dukes Course, owned by the Old Course Hotel. It is now part of the St Andrews Links Trust and we were very much looking forward to it.  Fingers crossed that the back holds out for me. It's been a struggle the past two days so I am trying to take it easy. 


A few other pics from my morning stroll downtown...




Spence and I made our way downtown to find some lunch before we headed to the course. Met up with Old Tom Morris along the way...




After some much needed lunch at The Dunvegan, we made our way just outside of town to The Craigtoun. 


The Craigtoun Course was a delight to play. The course isn't a links course like the others, but the tree lined fairways and the native fescue grasses framed the holes nicely. Before our round, Spence and I met a local golf tour operator and his sweet little golden doodle Bonnie on the putting green. Love how the courses here are so dog friendly. Despite her strong desire to keep playing fetch, we had to head to the tee.  





The mansion above sits behind the 9th green, overlooking this beautiful property. I can only imagine it in all its glory back in the day. It later became a maternity hospital before eventually being vacated. It's been sitting idle for years. Hopefully someone will do something wonderful with it. Spence wanted no part of the place. Said it creeped him out. Who knows what may lurk in those shadows? He wasn't about to find out!






My back held up through the round and I was able to keep the match even through the first nine holes. Spence turned it on along the back and he closed me out 2 & 1. It was another beautiful day out there, not near as windy. I am glad we got to play it as this one was the only one I haven't played here in St Andrews. Time well spent for sure. Of course, every round with this. guy makes for a great day. We ended the day today with an early dinner at Ham's Hame, just behind the 18th green on The Old Course. The next couple days will be rest days for the back. The great thing about Scotland and St Andrews is that there's plenty to do off the course as well. See you soon...














No comments:

Post a Comment