The Castle Didn't Disappoint
New here? We're posting daily from Scotland through September 21 — follow the trip.
What a day! Today was Spence's first round in Scotland. While I have been blessed to be and play here many times, there's no question this round was my favorite. Couldn't have asked for more as the course and the weather were just perfect. As you can see, the sun was shining and we got a good dose of the Scottish winds. Being on a cliff overlooking the North Sea, there was no escaping them. Thankfully, there was a good mix of holes playing down wind.
After a visit to the pro shop we made our way to the tee for our 2:00 pm start time. We weren't paired with anyone today so it was like we had the place to ourselves. I had hoped that would be the case as I wanted to savor every moment out there with Spence. I did indeed! Those winds I mentioned showed themselves right out of the gate on the first three holes. Spence learned very quickly the value of keeping the ball down. Solid start for both of us out of the gates. We had a friendly father / son match on the line so a good start was helpful. The old man fired first with a good birdie on the Par 3 3rd. :)
The Castle Course gets its name from the fact that the St Andrews Castle ruins can be seen from several of the holes, most notably the Par 4 6th.
The closing stretch on the front nine includes the Par 4 7th, a short Par 3 8th and the Par 4 9th. All of which were playing downwind. Spence took full advantage and nearly drove both the 7th and 9th greens. He made a nice birdie on the 9th to even our match on the front nine.
On to the back nine. The 10th is a pretty par 3 that begins the steady climb up the cliff. It may not look like much elevation, but after several holes on the back, it was felt. Not only back up hill but also back into an ever stiffening breeze.
A nice spot to sit a spell here along the 15th. As promised, the views from this course never disappoint.
The par 3 17th is one of my favorites on the course. This beauty played close to 180 into the wind, over the rocks and gorse. Hitting the green was no guarantee of a birdie or par. I had my hands full with this two putt.
Spence went full send on this 3 wood into the par 5 18th. Hit it too well and he flew the green into the. gorse. After nice up and down , we ended up the match tied for the day. The day and the round couldn't have been more perfect. So thankful!
After a quick turnaround, we headed to The Dunvegan. Such a cool place. I wanted Spence to see and experience what may be the golfing world's most famous pub. It was packed as usual with golfers from all over. Invariably I always run into someone I know when I am there. Tonight was no different as a caddy friend of mine was there holding court with the locals. Some things never change. We made our way back home and cooked a late dinner before hitting the rack. Along the walk home, I told Spence that today was my favorite round I have ever played. He agreed! Church comes early tomorrow and then it's off to the Craigtoun Course. This will be a new one for both of us. One last thought for today. It couldn't have been more special!





















No comments:
Post a Comment