Friday, September 7, 2012

Gullane # 1........





I have been looking forward to today and the chance to play Gullane # 1. This course came highly recommended and it was time to see for myself. The drive up from Edinburgh took a little over half an hour. I meandered through several little towns, all of which were very charming. I got a message from Kristen right as I pulled in that her Exercise Palooza had begun. My round was about to do the same. Before I made my way to the practice range I walked over to check out these ruins that sit just next to the pro shop. This church was built in 1170. Simply amazing! There was also a memorial for those who lost their lives in the Great War.






After a brief warm up I met my caddy Rory and we were off. The first couple of holes moved up the side of a large hill before cresting and heading back down towards the sea, providing some beautiful views along the way.....




I noticed this little structure off to the left of the 6th green. Rory told me it was affectionately known as the "World's Smallest Clubhouse." He told me that there are actually 4 members of a real golf association that hold regular meetings etc there. Interesting to say the least.


I had heard a lot about the views from the 7th tee. It was said to be one of the most photographed spots in all of golf. On a clear day, I could have seen Edinburgh as well as St Andrews. You can see Muirfield Golf Club in the background of the 2nd picture.  Despite the wind and rain, I still had some impressive views. The hole itself was a fun downhill par 4. With a 30+mph left to right crosswind off the tee, this was a fun hole to play.





I couldn't help noticing these concrete barriers alongside the 11th, 12th and 13th holes. Rory told me that these blocks were placed along the shoreline as tank barriers to keep the Germans from landing along the Scottish coast during WWII. Grim reminders of a dark past! 




The next two are from some of my favorite holes on the back side, the par 3 14th and the par 5 15th. Loved these green complexes and all of the bunkering. Got up and down for par out of one of them on the 14th. Fell victim to a fairway bunker on the 15th though.



The 17th hole descended back down the same hill we climbed on the 2nd and the 18th hole finished with the old church as a backdrop. Before finishing with a par I had a to get a quick pic with the clubhouse. A great way to end another great day. Tomorrow, Kristen and I are headed to the Highlands and Castle Stuart Golf Club, home of the 2012 Scottish Open. I haven't played this one either so I am looking forward to getting up there.






No comments:

Post a Comment