Friday, September 7, 2012

Tain Golf Club and Glenmorangie.......








Today was cool and rainy to start off with. Not a problem for Kristen though as she was set for a day of exercise at her new favorite gym, relaxation and studying by the fire. After a wonderful breakfast here at the Culloden, I made my way over to Tain Golf Club. It looked as though I was one of only a few to brave the elements. Fine by me as I wanted to get back to Kristen by lunch time or so. We are slated to head to Dornoch this evening for a visit to the Glenmorangie Distillery as well as dinner in Dornoch at our old friend, the Eagle Hotel.

Tain Golf Club was designed by famed Scottish Golfer and Designer, Old Tom Morris. It wasn't a links course like the others I have been playing on this trip but it still posed plenty of challenge. The course made a big loop as it weaved through farm land and groves of trees. One or two holes did provide some views of the Firth but that was about it. One of the coolest things about the day was watching the fighter pilots practice their bombing runs at the nearby RAF bombing range. It was hard to concentrate at times when one of those planes drops down out of the clouds and lets loose with that 30 cal cannon. "Hush Ya'll" didn't seem to help with the noise......










Meanwhile back at the Culloden House...........


Shortly after finishing my round I got this message from Kristen. "OUTSTANDING massage in front of my fire. I'm never leaving." Seems as though she was enjoying her day for sure. As I got loaded up and started back I got another message. "Drinking tea by the fire while listening to a lecture (MBA). Ate cereal for lunch. I'm happy as a lark." I was glad to see that her day had indeed been a good one so far. After a quick turnaround, we headed out towards the Glenmorangie Distillery, right between Tain and Dornoch.

I enjoy a good Scotch and Glenmorangie makes some of the best. We made our way to the Distillery, just missing the last tour of the day. We did, however, find the tasting room. I was able to sample some of their finest wares and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. I even picked up a few pearls from the tail end of one of the tasting classes. A drop or two of water makes all the difference......






We left before the tour busses started rolling out. We were somewhat skeptical of the bus drivers who were in line buying scotch in the gift shop. No doubt that would be a lively bunch on that bus for sure. Onward to dinner at the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch, home of the "Wee Pot 'O Ketchup." We ate dinner there three years ago and absolutely fell in love with the little town of Dornoch. Quite possibly the quietest place on earth. Peaceful...... We are headed back to the Dalmahoy in Edinburgh after my round tomorrow. If the weather is good when we get there, we'll be headed up to the Royal Mile.


No comments:

Post a Comment