Friday, September 7, 2012

The Culloden House and Castle Stuart Golf Links




The Culloden House in Inverness Scotland was to be our home for the next two nights. We had a beautiful suite with a fireplace in the sitting room. Kristen LOVES a fireplace and I couldn't wait to see her reaction when we got into the room. That would have to wait though as my tee time was fast approaching. I dropped off our bags and we headed to the course for some lunch and an afternoon of golf at Castle Stuart Golf Links. While the sun was shining the winds were blowing consistently at 30+mph with gusts even higher. I knew I was in for a challenge and from the look of things as we drove in, a treat as well.




The clubhouse was designed to allow for stunning views of the Moray Firth from just about every angle. I went to the top deck and got some great pics of the surroundings. Below you can see the course's name sake, Castle Stuart. I would get a closer look later on as the par 3 4th hole plays directly towards the castle.  We got something to eat and after a little putting practice we were on our way. While I was getting ready to play Kristen got the exercise options sorted out and she declared I would have her company on the front 9 and then she was off to the gym. Girl's got to have her exercise...... With all of this wind, I certainly couldn't blame her for heading in after nine. While she didn't get to see the whole course, she still got to see some beautiful holes. For the record, I could get used to practicing my putting with those views. Wow!




The first few holes of both 9's run directly along the Firth. If I'm not mistaken, the Firth can be seen from just about every hole. Impressive to say the least. I loved playing along with water's edge on those first few holes. These first few were played directly into the wind. I made a couple of pars and a bogey before heading to the par 4th with Castle Stuart as the backdrop to the hole.





Kristen headed out after 9 so my caddie Neil and I were on our own for the back nine. We took our time as I was the last time for the day so no one was pushing us. The winds were at our back from the first three holes of the back nine. My favorite hole on the course was the Par 3 11th (2nd and 3rd pics below). It wasn't a very long hole but there was a lot of trouble surrounding the green. I loved having the Firth as a backdrop to this hole. A yard or two past the hole here and I would have found the Firth for myself. Not to be though as I hit a 50 degree wedge to about 10 feet. Unfortunately I missed the putt and walked away with par.







 I loved this pic below as you can see the 15th and 18th holes in one shot along with the ever-present Moray Firth in the background.





My caddy was gracious enough to give me a ride back to the Culloden House after my round. Before I left, I scheduled another round here at Castle Stuart for Thursday. The weather was supposed to be perfect and I would be the first person out. I'd have the course all to myself...... I beat Kristen back to the Culloden and was able to walk her up to the room. She was indeed VERY pleased to see the fireplace. I would be hard pressed to get her to leave.

Tomorrow I am headed further up into the Highlands to play a hidden gem known as Tain Golf Club, designed by the one and only Old Tom Morris. I scheduled a spa day for Kristen back at the Culloden so she will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment