Sunday, October 12, 2014

Ryder Cup Sunday........The Singles




Today was exciting to say the least. I didn't really think the US team had enough in the tank to make a comeback but I was hopeful for some good golf nonetheless. I wasn't to be denied. The Euros only needed four points to retain the Cup so the Americans were facing a tough task. There were some good matches that I was particularly interested in. Jordan Speith was the 1st match out of the gates, paired against GMAC. Despite an early charge by Jordan, GMAC was able to take control of the match, ending up with a point for Europe. The match of the day for me was Rory and Rickie.  I wanted to see if Rory would assert his dominance as World # 1. It was clear early into the front 9 that he was indeed doing just that. Rickie didn't stand a chance and was easily beaten. I'm not sure anyone could have beaten Rory today. With matches all over the course, it was much easier to get around out there. I was able to take in the action along the 1st and 2nd holes before heading back up to my perch along the side of the 8th hole. With every Euro birdie made and point gained, the crowds got louder and louder. It soon became a forgone conclusion that Europe would win. It was now a matter of who would clinch the winning point. One of Europe's rookies, Jamie Donaldson, capped off his 1st Ryder Cup by winning his 3rd point of the week. I was standing behind the 17th hole when he clinched it on the 16th green with an incredible eagle. Jim Furyk was on the tee of the 17th in his match with Sergio Garcia when the crowed erupted. Europe wins! In a wonderful display of sportsmanship, Jim turned to Sergio and shook his hand in congratulations before returning to play his shot into the 17th. With the Ryder Cup securing in European hands for another two years, I made my way back to the buses. Time to get back to St Andrews before the partying gets too out of hand. The Ryder Cup was an incredible experience to be a part of. I am thankful to have had the chance to come see it. I got back to SAGC in time to watch the closing ceremonies as well as the team press conferences. Some interesting team dynamics came to light during the American presser. I am sure the coming days will be filled with plenty of story lines as to why we didn't win. I know one thing.....Phil and Mr Watson were at odds for sure. Time will tell! My trip is fast approaching its end, with only two more days here in Scotland. I am headed up to Cruden Bay tomorrow. I've never played there and am very much looking forward to a great day!


















No comments:

Post a Comment