Friday, October 10, 2014

Welcome to My Castle.....




I got the chance to sleep in a bit this morning since we weren't playing until later this afternoon. I walked downtown before lunch to do some browsing / shopping. I've actually done quite well this trip. I haven't bought a thing yet. Can't say that will remain the case throughout the duration of the trip. I went over to the St Andrews Golf Club for some lunch. The food and drink is quite good here at SAGC as well as being fairly priced. A good combination indeed. After lunch, I made my way out to The Castle Course to get ready for our afternoon round. The guys were meeting me there so I was all set. There was a delay with one of their flights so we had to push things back a bit. With a later start time, we were going to be pressed to finish all 18 holes. Dwight or "D" and Wes were great guys and we enjoyed our round. With sunlight waning, I called an audible on the 12th tee. I wanted these guys to see the finishing holes here at The Castle. With yet another beautiful weather day, I knew they wouldn't be disappointed as the sun began to set. I love playing during the late afternoon as the setting sun helps the little humps and hollows really show themselves. We jumped over to 15th tee and were able to finish right before sunset. Both "D" and Wes were so glad we'd skipped 12-14 so that we good see the beautiful finish to the course. We were blessed with yet another gorgeous sun filled evening of golf in this beautiful place. We said our goodbyes at the course. They stayed behind for a pint and to soak up the view from the clubhouse while I made my way home.







A quick shower and I was out the door on my way to dinner. As luck would have it, I got a table right away at the Dunvegan. I was soon joined at the table by Xavier and his 10 year old son Thomas. They were in St Andrews for some golf as well as a day or two of the Ryder Cup. Thomas was so excited to be there and was scanning the walls for pictures of his heroes, Seve and Sergio. He reminded me so much of my son, Spence, and how much I look forward to sharing this wonderful place with him. At one point, Xavier held his son's head in his hands and whispered to him. Both smiled widely. As I don't speak Spanish, I had no idea what he was saying. As a father, I knew exactly what was being said. He went on to tell me what he did say and I was right. It's all about making memories and today was no different. I wished my new friends from Barcelona well and made my way home for the night. Ryder Cup, here I come.....






No comments:

Post a Comment