Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Town Match......



Gorgeous sunrise

What beautiful morning it was here in St. Andrews, albeit an early one. My 7:15 am tee time had me up with the sea gulls by 5:00 am. After cooking breakfast and a little coffee, I made my way to the course. Along the way, I couldn't resist capturing this sunrise. It was a sign of the delightful weather we were to have all day.

Early Morning Glow

I met my buddy, John Igoe, over by the 1st tee of the New Course and we were quickly on our way with our R&A playing partners, Don and Charlie. As it turned out, they were both from Altanta and long time members of the Atlanta Athletic Club. The Foursomes or Alternate Shot format is always a fun and challenging one. I was able to confirm that my claims from yesterday that the Town Match is indeed supposed to be the largest single day match play event in the world. 

So much strategy to get 'round here without finding a bunker...

Approach into Par 5 8th @ New Course 

Par 3 13th @ New Course

Par 4 14th green @ New Course

Putter from off the green on Par 4 15th @ New Course 

Perfect weather for the Town Match.... 

This doesn't scratch the service of the treasures inside

In the end it came down to putting as many match play events do. We missed a few too many when we needed them most. Following our match, I came back to the house to clean up and don my coat and tie for lunch in the R&A Clubhouse. After a delightful meal and some wonderful conversation in the Great Room overlooking the Old Course's 1st tee, we parted ways. John and I headed back to the Club and the front table with the Elders for a bit before I headed home for the day. It's been a long day but a good one. I was ready to relax, catch up with Kristen and watch some football before bed. Guess that's all for now. LYDCP!

No comments:

Post a Comment