Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Back to the Auld Grey Toon




Our journey began here today as I dropped Kristen off at quite possibly her most favorite place in all of Scotland, The Kohler Waters Spa at the Old Course Hotel in St Andrews Scotland. We would start and end our day together in this wonderful little town. Once I got her checked in for a day of pampering etc I was off to tee it up at The Crail Golfing Society's Balcomie Links. I'd never played it but was very much looking forward to doing so. I knew Kristen would be well kept so off I went. I'd be back to meet her for dinner at the St. Andrews Golf Club later. After a short 15 minute drive outside of St Andrews, I pulled into the course. What a beautiful setting hard against the shore where the Firth of Forth meets the North Sea. It was a bit cold and windy but I knew I was going to enjoy it. Indeed I did....Check out a few of my favorite pictures from the day. One of the things I really enjoyed was the challenge of the ever present wind as well as the well guarded greens. The traps were not to be messed with. I also loved the elevation changes as several of the tee shots were significantly up or down hill making club selection very difficult. Thanks to my caddy Dave, we got it right more times than not and I was able to card a 73 for the day. Not too bad..... Now back to my dinner date in St Andrews










When I got back to St Andrews, I had some time to kill before catching up with Kristen for dinner. I went by the club to make sure everything was in order for dinner and then I walked around for a bit. Whenever I am here in the Old Grey Toon, I always like to visit my favorite spots as well as get the obligatory Swilcan Bridge photo. I was anxious to see Kristen as I know she had been well tended to today. I grabbed a dram or two at The Jigger Inn, right off the 17th fairway of the The Old Course while she wrapped things up in the spa. A few minutes later we were off to our dinner at the St Andrews Golf Club. It was our first time dining there as a member and it was such a cool experience. There is so much history in this club and I was loving every minute and so thankful to have the chance to be a part of it going forward. We had a wonderful dinner there at the club then we headed back to the Dalmahoy after another great day. Tomorrow, we head to Kilspindie Golf Club, outside of Edinburgh. This will be another course I have yet to play. Tomorrow will be extra special though as Kristen, AKA Boomer, will be putting her golfing skills on display for the first time here in Scotland. Check out the view from our dinner table as well as some of my favorite pictures from the evening.... The last two are of pictures lining the stair case to the dining room of the club. So much history as I mentioned before. Note the captain's last name. Spence is our family name and it originates in Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland. I'm just saying.......












No comments:

Post a Comment