Friday, September 13, 2013

Kilspindie Golf Club......Boomer's Debut








You can see the ball in flight (pink). She hit a really nice shot here. Check out the next picture and you can see where she ended up.



Today was a big day. Kristen aka "Boomer" took her game to the links of Kilspindie Golf Club. I was excited but she seemed less than thrilled as the weather left a lot to be desired. We were set to tee off at 11:30. However, the rain set in and we decided to delay the show and hang out in the clubhouse with the members. At their insistence, we hung out for a while. Only later did I find out why they were so anxious for us to hang around. Kristen had caught the eye of every 60 something in the club. Several marriage proposals later, I was able to tear her away and out on the course. She teed off on the first hole  with quite the gallery lined up behind the tee and inside the clubhouse. I couldn't help but think they were all hoping for a rain out so Kristen would come back inside with them for a spell more. Much to their chagrin, the rain held off and despite being a bit windy, it was quite pleasant out there. 

The course was a lot of fun to play, with views of the Firth from almost every hole. The tide was out so the beach extended from the shore for what seemed like a mile. I couldn't help but think about how much fun our son Spence would have exploring the tidal pools and rocky shoreline. I know Kristen was cold and a bit shellshocked after the day of pampering she had yesterday. Quite a difference from one day to the next. She trudged on although I knew getting 18 holes out of her would be a stretch. I was correct in that she walked in after 16 holes. I ended up finishing the last hole with a group of gents from southern Scotland. I finished up on the 18th and headed inside to see what Boomer was up to. Not surprisingly, she had the club elders all trying to woo her affections. After some wonderful Fish and Chips, I started to tally up my round. I knew I was playing well. However, I didn't realize I was playing that well. I shot a 65 today, besting my career low by two shots. It was cool to have Kristen by my side for most of it. The game is really starting to come around. I look forward to more good golf in the coming days. 



We headed back to Edinburgh and I dropped Kristen off for her daily workout while I went to check out my next potential round at The Old Links Course at Musselburgh. It is the oldest golf course in the world. Uniquely, it sits smack in the middle of an active horse track. While I was glad I went over to see it, I had no desire to play it. Dinner came calling shortly afterwards and Kristen and I found ourselves back on High Street dining at our old favorite, Gordon's Trattoria. A nice way to end a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment