Sunday, September 29, 2013

Royal Portrush Golf Club.....The Valley Course





After the wind and rain from yesterday and my time at Portstewart Golf Club, it was nice to get a break today here at The Valley Course of Royal Portrush Golf Club from the latter. While the rain stayed away for the most part, the winds were just as strong as yesterday. After a little lunch with Kristen at the Royal Portrush Golf Club, we made our way over to the Valley Course and I was on my way. I was literally the only person on the course and what a treat it was. As I walked along 2nd fairway seen above, I couldn't help but think about how many times Graeme McDowell had the course all to himself as he was growing up here, learning the game. I was also reminded of how I often did the same when I was growing up playing golf on the fairways of the Fernandina Beach Golf Club on Amelia Island Florida. The game was simple then.....find it and hit it again! With the winds up again today, find it and hit it was rather fitting.



The two pics above are of the Par 3 3rd hole. This was a short, downhill hole that borders the driving range at Royal Portrush. Not a long hole but with the cross winds, a challenge to find the green nonetheless.





The three pics above are from the short Par 4 5th hole. This was an absolute risk / reward opportunity, especially downwind as it was today. I chose to go with a 3 wood and was able to keep it just short of the bunker on the right. Fun hole! The following two pics are from the lengthy Par 3 6th hole. She played every bit of the 237 yards back uphill into the wind. I gave it all I had with my 3 wood and still came up short left.



 Below is the view from the tee of the Par 5 10th hole. The one was downwind and I was able to get home in two. Two putts and a tap in birdie later, I was off to a fast start for the back nine. I had a wonderful afternoon here at this Harry Colt gem. I ended up hanging out in the Rathmore Golf Club bar with Jinx (bar man and caddy) while I waited for Kristen to come get me. My cell phone died while out on the course so I had no way to reach her. I finally got the ladies at the Bushmills Inn to track her down by one of their roaring fire places. We got back in time for one more delicious dinner at the Bushmills Inn. We head south tomorrow to the Slieve Donard Hotel and Royal County Down.


No comments:

Post a Comment