Monday, September 9, 2013

Some Things Old and Some Things New.....


What a beautiful way to start our day as we flew into Edinburgh for our 2013 Scotch and Northern Irish getaway. We had an excellent flight and were greeted by some greatly appreciated cooler temperatures here in the UK. Thankfully all of our luggage made it. It is always a nervous time for me at the luggage carousel until I see the Big Banana (My golf travel bag) come rolling out. With Kristen  making her debut on the Women's European Golfing Circuit this year, we brought her clubs as well. We got Big and Little loaded up along with the rest of our luggage and off we went to our home away from home, the Marriott Dalmahoy.



They always take such wonderful care of us here so we keep coming back. They set us up in the Wellingtonian Suite in the main house and we were good to go. Kristen made her way to town to get a workout in whilst I read the back of my eye lids for a spell. When she got back we grabbed some lunch and headed out for a drive to the little town of Gullane. We wanted to see where the courses were that we would be playing this week. That's right, I said we. Boomer is now bringing her game onto the global stage. We're playing a course along southern shore of the Firth of Forth between Aberlady Bay and Gosford Bay known as Kilspindie Golf Club. Take a look below at some of the pics from this afternoon. I love all of the stone walls that feature prominently on so many of the holes. The last pic is of the 18th green sitting hard against the quaint little clubhouse. I'll post more pics of the course when we play it on Wednesday.










After my little walkabout, we headed back to Gullane as Kristen had spotted a coffee shop on the way through and she needed some caffeine to get her through the day. I parked the car and headed down the street to check out these old church ruins while she went inside. 





When I got done milling about the church ruins, I knew just where to find my bride. Looks to me like she was doing just fine without me. The woman loves a little coffee house that's for sure. 



We decided to head to an old favorite for dinner tonight. We have been here several times over the years and it has yet to disappoint. It sits right alongside a little river in the tiny town of Ratho, Perfect spot for a lazy dinner. Although, I must say there is nothing lazy about this bad boy that they brought to the table. Beef, it's what's for dinner!




After a short drive back to the Dalmahoy, I was off to get a little putting practice in before my round tomorrow at the Balcomie Links of the Crail Golfing Society. While I am playing golf, Kristen will be well kept at one of her favorite places in the world, The Old Course Hotel's Kohler Waters Spa in St. Andrews. We will end the day with dinner at the St. Andrews Golf Club, overlooking the 18th green of the Old Course. This will be the 1st time we've been back since I became a member this past January. Can't wait.....




No comments:

Post a Comment